We left Trabadelo about 8:10 light rain falling and still dark. Before long we realized we would need our ponchos. It was warm and muggy, and wearing the poncho was a little like wearing a portable steam bath! Lucky the rain did not last long, but mist hung in the air, and it continue to be muggy through the day, in fact as we walked and climbed to O Cebreiro we climbed in to the clouds. One might say that we spent the day with our heads in the clouds!!!! Okay that was corny, it was a great day and give that we had 17.5 k to cover with a 630 meter elevation gain I was happy that it wasn’t 25 C today.
Part of the walk today was on Tarmac, but a steep rocky climb for the last 9k made just a little more treacherous buy the mist and rain. You can see from the pictures this is an area that sees a lot of rain; everything is green and lush.
I was surprise when we crossed in the Galicia, there is a big stone marker that indicates we have less than 151k left to walk to reach Santiago Spain. My map book puts the distance at 158k, it will be difficult to know which one is right, but it dawned on me today that our journey will soon be over. Tomorrow we head down the hill, a 650 meter decent, to Triacastela Spain, so I will have a few more stories to tell.
- Hola from Burgos Spain, Day 17 Calgary to Santiago de Compostella (jmeyersforeman.wordpress.com)
- Day 27 – Villafranca del Bierzo to Triacastela – Triacastela, Spain (travelpod.com)
- Hola, from Santo Domingo de la Calzada Spain, (jmeyersforeman.wordpress.com)
- 40k to Santiago…Really??? – Santiago de Compostela, Spain (travelpod.com)
- La Virgin del Camino to Hospital de Orbigo; 29 k of the Camino de Santiago (jmeyersforeman.wordpress.com)