If you have been following for a while you might remember that I have been participating in the After-Before Forum, and over the last few weeks each of us submitted one image, that we would like to see everyone process, and interesting challenge to finish another photographers photo. There are a lot of choice to be made when processing an image. I can’t say, like many photographers, that I always have an idea of the image I want to end up with when I click the shutter button. Just as often as not I will import the image into Lightroom and see what happens.
When I received the email that the image of the Florence Riverfront had been chosen for us to work with I had to decide if I would keep true to the image that we had, or make an image that reflected my vision. Here is the image that we were to start with.
You can see I made a few changes! I had, just a couple of weeks ago, visited Florence and photographed the same river and bridge! I remember the feeling of wonder as I walked down the street viewing the artists sitting painting. I knew I wanted to create an image that reflected those beautiful watercolours as well as the scene before me.
There are a lot of steps involved, and I apologize to the non-photographers and photoshoppers who follow the blog for the “jargon” and lack of detail. While the steps and process for this type of image is similar each layer is added and adjusted as the image and personal taste finds pleasing.
First I wanted the reflections in the water more visible; I selected, copied and pasted them onto a new layer. Then using the transform tool I shaped the selection into the area I thought the reflections would fit. I decreased the opacity of the layer, and the water of the river would show through. On the original image I increased the vibrance to punch up the colours. I then created a duplicate layer, and on this layer I used the find edges filter, the blend mode was set to overlay and I masked off part of the river, the lines and ripples in the water created a distracting detail. The final step was to add another layer, using a copy of a robin’s egg textured paper at 37% opacity, I masked off the area of the buildings and bridge so the colour did not show through, but gave the sky and water some colour that had been affected with the find edges filter.
Learning to use textures has been and interesting process and I have discussed it before, send me a message or comment if you are interested in more information. Hop on over to the After-Before Forum page and see what the other photographers have come up with.